Coronavirus daily update 23.03.20
Daily Update 23rd March 2020
- College Effectively Closed from Wednesday 25th March, 2020
- This does NOT affect the emergency childcare provision for the children of key workers and vulnerable children.
- Otherwise, the site is closed to all staff and students.
- This decision has been taken as a strong measure to support “stay at home, protect the NHS, save lives”.
- Day One of Remote Learning
- This seems to have gone very well (it’s much harder to tell than normal !).
- There have been teething problems, of course.
- Please bear with us, and let us know of issues: there is likely to be a genuine explanation.
- One issue is that we have two colleagues who are ill and currently unable to set work.
- Free School Meals Update: Better News
- We have subscribed to a voucher scheme. The parent/carer of each child claiming FSM will receive a voucher for £12 per child per week. We will send vouchers covering this week, and the two weeks of the Easter holiday in advance. The vouchers will be e-mailed on Wednesday 25th (in one or two cases, posted or delivered). There was no choice of supermarket: it is Tesco.
- This decision was straightforward. No key worker’s child has FSM; there is no interest in a FSM collection service, and we could wait no longer for the government scheme to be launched.
- Emergency Childcare Provision (ECP)
- This provision is an offer to parents in key roles who are not able to find childcare, and whose children cannot be left home safely.
- The guidance stresses that all students should remain at home if at all possible as this should be the safest place for them, and reduces the spread of coronavirus. The guidance actually says the provision should only be taken up “if required” as a “last resort”
- School transport should run as normal, at least this week.
- If your child is attending College, please e-mail by 08.00 a.m. each day. We need this for safeguarding reasons, and to plan.
- Entrance and exit to the College will ONLY be through Reception.
- Until 08.50 students must gather in the Canteen area.
- This will NOT be a drop-in and collect service. Students will be here for the school day.
- The Canteen will be open, but offering a reduced or much reduced menu (depending on numbers).
- Lunchtime will be at 12.25 to 13.20.
- Activities will be based in a main block IT room. At break and lunchtime students will be permitted on the field and “plaza” areas.
- Students will work on the tasks set remotely by their teachers, as well as choosing from a range of activities
- Students do not need to wear uniform.
- Other Communications Today
- A letter to Year 11 parents/carers and students
- An “allstudent” e-mail from the Principal to students
- Guidance to teachers about setting work for Year 11
LINKS AND FURTHER INFORMATION
The following link is the government’s advice to schools, last updated 20th March
The next link is Devon County Council’s dedicated website for parents for Coronavirus advice
Department for Education Coronavirus helpline:
Phone: 0800 046 8687 Opening hours: 8am to 6pm (Monday to Friday)
Should you have any specific queries regarding Covid-19 and Clyst Vale, please e-mail Mrs Ann Hopkins (College Manager) on
Kevin Bawn, Principal